Saturday, October 8, 2011

Maybe they're were-creatures...?

My continuing mission to seek out horror comics and make fun of the covers continues as I bring you a series that is rich with the grim and macabre- Josie & The Pussycats! ... Waitasec, Josie & The Pussycats? Let me double-check the Grand Comic Database... Yeah, it's listed as "horror". Huh. Well, I've got to fill up 31 posts this month, so here we go!

 I'll admit that I'm not well-versed on my extended Archie-verse lore, but I was surprised to learn that Alexandra there is a witch. Archie hasn't been very consistent with it's portrayal of witchcraft. Sabrina seemed to be a hereditary witch, while Alexandra seems to be the only one in her family with the mojo. Maybe it's a recessive gene, or maybe I'm thinking way too much about this.

 See? Witch. Also, it's funny because fat kids shouldn't fall in love with hot girls! Ha-ha-haaaa!

 The dress actually looks better, now.

 Okay, this is a little weird. Previous covers have followed the typical Archie comic formula (lame joke), but here the Pussycats are full-out crimefighting. With a banjo.

 Nothing undercuts your special environmental message like not one but TWO bad jokes.

 When you're born with the name "Branewash", you may as well accept that you're going to grow up to be a misanthropic genius with crackpot schemes.

 You may say this is a dismissal of the feminist movement, but considering how other comics of the time treated Women's Lib, this is actually a very nuanced and enlightened endorsement by comparison.

And we're back to the weird. That dude's either some grim specter or just a run of the mill pervert who likes to watch three young nubile girls.

More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment