Monday, October 4, 2010

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's... Zack Snyder!

Since you're reading this, it's most likely you have internet access. That means you've probably heard that Christopher Nolan, the man who brought us good Batman movies, has tapped Zack Snyder to direct his new Superman movie.

Hopefully, this will wash the bad taste of Superman Returns out. Oh, and I was so happy back then, when I heard that Bryan Singer, the man who made X-Men movies, would helm the film about the Man of Steel! Of course, what wound up happening is that both Superman and X-Men suffered as TWO crap movies were the result of his decision. There's a fine line between homage and plagiarism, and Singer crossed it repeatedly with Superman Returns.

Now, Zack Snyder seems like a good choice. I liked 300, because I am a man, and I liked Watchmen, which I thought was one of the finest comic movies I've seen (call me a heretic, but I think I'd rank it above Nolan's Bat-films). I remain cautiously optimistic.

However, I won't get too excited until actual production begins. I remember the 90's, when there was talk of a Superman movie. First, Tim Burton was going to do it. Then Kevin Smith was going to do it and even wrote a script. Matrix-esque costumes were discussed. Then, at some point, Nic Cage was involved.

It's almost as unitentionally hilarious as The Wicker Man. Almost.

So, while everyone's buzzing, let's tone it down a scosh. Remember, at one time Joss Whedon was going to bring us Wonder Woman, and now that task has fallen into the hands of the man who brought us Ally McBeal, an award-winning comedy that wasn't terribly funny. So, perspective is what I'm asking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment