Saturday, July 10, 2010

The most bizarre cameo I've ever seen...

So, I was watching The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement (don't ask). As the film progresses, who should I happen to see but Stan "The Man" Lee in a cameo. I've now come to the conclusion that there needs to be a moratorium on Stan Lee appearances in movies.

Now, don't get me wrong- I love Stan Lee. Stan Lee is to comic book fandom what the Pope is to Catholicism. There's a lot to criticise about past decisions and positions, but the man deserves respect nonetheless.

See, the problem is that his first couple of cameos in films were original, fun nods to the source material. Now, it's like they're just throwing him in for the sake of doing so. With the Princess Diaries cameo, it's become an absurd parody. And now that Disney has bought Marvel, this trend may continue into further nonsense. Do we need a Stan Lee cameo in Air Buddies Origins: Flight From Puppyhawk? To quote a God of Thunder, I say thee nay!

That's not to say there should be a total media blackout on Smilin' Stan. Heavens, no! His rich, sonorous tones should still grace cartoons and video games, which takes me back to my childhood as he narrated episodes of Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends. But please, no more cameos in live-action films. I just can't take it anymore.

2 comments:

  1. Watching Princess Diaries 2 eh? Nothing else on TV I take it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, any movie that has John Rhys-Davies, Tom Poston, Hector Elizondo, AND Larry Miller all on the same cast I'll watch at least once.

    ReplyDelete