Monday, September 27, 2010

An EVENTFUL post....

Last week, I commented on the pilot episode of NBC's The Event. I was brief, but critical; I felt it left a lot to be desired. It was slowly paced, and the numerous flashbacks seemed obtrusive and poorly integrated into the plot. With that in mind, I watched this week's episode, expecting to be disappointed again.

What happened was that my expectation of disappointment was itself disappointed, as this week's installment was a marked improvement over last week. The pacing was up, secrets were actually revealed which lead to more questions (whereas last week, the only question arising was, "What the **** was that?"), and overall, it felt like things HAPPENED; the plot felt like it had achieved substantially more advancement than it had last week. The flashbacks were still there, but, for the most part, they seemed more essential to this week's narrative. There are still some rough spots, to be sure, but it seemed like the producers of The Event got their act together in a very short amount of time.

Of course, the big thing about this week's episode is the reveal in the middle. Now, many internet users have already leaked it weeks before the show's debut, so don't read what's in these parentheses if you haven't watched any of it yet and would like to (Those people in the prison camp? They're ALIENS! Dun-dun-DUNNN!!!).

Anyway, I knew that reveal would come, but I'm frankly surprised they unveiled it so soon; judging from last week's episode, I had thought they'd drag it out a LOT longer. Now, there are still more questions that need to be answered, and I do wonder how long they can maintain the premise before it runs out of steam, but overall, if The Event can continually deliver like they did tonight, I think NBC has a solid addition to it's Monday Night Line-up.

As an aside, this post marks the beginning of my blog's Hundredth Post Countdown Spectacular. Only nine posts left until I reach triple digits!

No comments:

Post a Comment