Thursday, November 11, 2010

Soldiering on....

It's Veteran's Day, a day to pay tribute to those fine men and women who've served our country with honor. They are especially deserving of a tribute, in my opinion, because, if comics are to be believed (and I see no reason why they shouldn't be), soldiers do nothing except battle against robots, apes, and hordes of the undead. A fearsome task.

So, to celebrate, here are some covers from DC's Weird War Tales!

You'll notice a pattern for many of the covers. WWT follows a simple format for designing their stories.
Step 1: Take a wartime scenario.
Step 2: Add skeletons.
Step 3: PROFIT!


"Swamp Thing, have you lost weight? You look fantastic! Jenny Craig, right?"


I have no humorous comment to add here; I just think it's awesome.


If they're frozen, it should be relatively simple to just go around.


Equipping skeletons with parachutes? And they say the defense budget is wasteful....


Terry Funk comes out of retirement yet again.

War is pretty metal, when you think about it.


"No! Don't bayonet my lap!"

"Something white is emerging from that long, hard tube filled with seamen!"
"Dammit, Frank, we've talked about this...."

Like a skeletonized dog is even going to have the membranes and tissues to track by scent.

It's good to know that those skeleton paratroopers from a few issues back made it down safely.

I don't see what those kids find so fascinating, but then, I never understood the appeal of Yu-Gi-Oh, either.

Editor: "Having soldiers run away from skeletons is old hat. We need something new and exciting to draw the kids in."
Artist: "We could have soldiers run away from skeletons riding dragons."
Editor: "... BRILLIANT!"

It's like if Superman and Ghost Rider had a love child, and now I'll never get that scenario out of my head.


I LOVE Hitler's expression in this one. He's all, "Huh. This is unusual."

When a robot, a skeleton, and John Belushi's samurai character from Saturday Night Live get into a fight, do you know who wins? THE FANS!

It took me a second to figure out what constituted the "weird" part of this cover, but if you look carefully, you can see UFOs there to the right. At least, I think they're UFOs. They might be frisbees.

That soldier always wants to be the centaur of attention! Also, cavalry? I think you could make the argument that a centaur could qualify as infantry, depending on your point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment